All the goodness of summer fruits come together in this Brown Butter Nectarine Crisp with Raspberries and the date sugar, almond meal and flax meal in the crisp makes you feel just a little less guilty for that extra serving you help yourself with!
There are so many many things I love about summer and the summer bounty of fruits and vegetables is one of them. Peaches, nectarines and plums – all in the stone fruit family are some of my favorites!
This month, it was my turn to pick the ingredient for the FoodieMamas and of course, I chose Nectarines. I had a ton of ideas about what to make with them – nectarine ice cream, a nectarine blueberry rustic tart / galette, a nectarine salad and lots more.
I finally decided to go with the crisp, because the thought of the warm crisp right out of the oven topped with freshly scooped cold ice cream that melts just as is it touches the warm crisp and for me to dig in to it to scoop up the perfect spoonful – that thought was motivation enough to make this recipe this time.
I do have the others in line to be tried out this summer before the gorgeous nectarines go out of season and you will definitely see them here! Meanwhile enjoy this deliciously crispy crisp. I made the crumble with chilled brown butter instead of just butter to give a little extra depth in flavor and switched up all purpose flour with almond meal and added a touch of flax meal to it as well to amp up the goodness factor in it.
Because, lets admit it. We will all need that extra helping and not feel too guilty about it!
Lets get to the recipe while I dream of the deliciousness this was!
Brown Butter Nectarine Crisp
- 5 organic nectarines pitted and chopped
- 6 oz organic raspberries
- 1 tablespoon organic cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon date sugar you can use regular granulated sugar or brown sugar instead
- a pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup regular old fashioned oatmeal I use Bob’s Red Mill brand
- ½ cup almond meal Bob’s Red Mill
- ¼ cup flax meal Bob’s Red Mill
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 tablespoon date sugar
Don't forget to check out Step-by-step instructions with photos in the body of the post above
- Melt the butter in a 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat until it browns. Let it cool. Pour into a bowl and chill.
- To the same cast iron skillet, add the nectarines and raspberries. Add the cornstarch, date sugar and salt to it and give it a toss. Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a medium sized bowl, pour the oatmeal, almond meal, flax meal, cinnamon, cardamom and date sugar. Add the chilled butter and mix well with your hands.
- Spread this crumble over the fruits mix in the cast iron skillet. Bake in the oven for 30-35 mins, till the top of the crisp changes color slightly. Serve warm with vanilla ice-cream.