Creamy, cheesy and delicious Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup with Spinach is a vegetarian recipe that is family friendly, ready in 15 mins and is perfect for busy weeknights dinners.
Cool, winter nights are when you seek comfort. Comfort by the fireplace. Comfort in snuggles under the blanket. Comfort in heart and soul warming food.
This tomato basil soup with cheese tortellini and spinach is just that. The perfect cozy dinner on cool weather nights. It is so very easy to make, perfectly flavorful and is just truly irresistible.
Here is why we love this tomato basil tortellini soup
- It is hearty, filling and comforting
- This soup is a vegetarian dinner recipe
- It is so very easy to put together in just 15 mins.
- This recipe uses minimal ingredients that you may already have in your refrigerator and pantry most of the time.
Ingredients for Tomato Basil Soup with Tortellini Soup
- Tomatoes – this recipe uses canned tomatoes for convenience and that punch of flavors that you can only get from canned tomatoes when tomatoes are not in season. A combination of fire roasted and San Marzano crushed tomatoes are used in this recipe.
- Tortellini – fresh four cheese tortellini is used in this recipe, which makes the cooking time even less. If you want to use dried tortellini, it may take a little longer to be done cooking. You can use any other tortellini as well like spinach tortellini with cheese, meat tortellini, mushroom tortellini – any other option works perfectly well in this recipe.
- Basil – Use fresh Italian basil for maximum flavor and freshness in this tortellini soup.
- Spinach – pre washed baby spinach is perfect to just dump into this soup without much prep. You can skip this if you think your kids may not eat this or if you personally don’t like spinach in soup. It just adds more nutrition to the meal, which is what most of us busy moms are looking for when making dinners for our families.
- Onion and garlic – the base aromatics that add flavor to this soup.
- Herbs and Spices – crushed red pepper flakes and dried oregano is added to this soup to add some extra flavor and heat. And of course, salt and pepper.
- Liquids – vegetable broth and heavy cream is added to form the body of this soup. You can use chicken stock if you are not making it vegetarian.
Heat the oil over medium high heat in a Dutch oven. Add the garlic and onions and saute till the onions soften and are translucent.
Add the crushed red pepper, dried oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well.
Pour both the cans of tomatoes into the Dutch oven and the vegetable broth. Bring it to a boil.
Add the cream and mix well.
Pack in the baby spinach and the basil and let it cook in the soup for 5-10 mins till it wilts.
Carefully drop the fresh tortellini, turn the heat down to medium and let it cook for 5 mins or until the tortellini are tender.
Serve hot with any bread of choice.
You can add meat to this recipe if you want. Sausage is a great option, so is chicken or even any other ground meat. This Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Chicken Soup uses the same base recipe as this one.
You can change the cheese tortellini to any other kind of tortellini.
Instead of baby spinach, you can add baby kale or chard or any other greens that you normally like in soups.
Top with some fresh basil and a sprinkle of grated parmesan before serving.
Does this tomato tortellini soup freeze well?
Tomato soup freezes really well. But unfortunately tortellini in the soup wont freeze well. It will turn all mushy when you reheat it.
I would recommend freezing just the soup. Thaw it and reheat in a Dutch oven. Add the tortellini to it once it is hot and let it cook till tender.
How to reheat this soup?
What I have noticed when you save leftovers from this soup is that the tortellini absorbs the liquid and it kind of becomes like pasta with tomato sauce.
You may need to add some more broth with some tomato paste mixed in to it and bring it to a boil on the stove top to reheat and serve.
You may also love
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Chicken Soup
- Tomato Basil Mac and Cheese
- Tomato Basil Cannellini Bruschetta
- Slow Cooker Lentil and Yam Soup
Don’t forget to subscribe to Cooking Curries’ Newsletter to automatically receive notifications of new posts and recipes.
Creamy Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup with Spinach
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes 14.5 oz
- 1 can / jar crushed tomatoes 18.5 oz
- 3 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 16 oz fresh four cheese tortellini 1 lb
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves about 8-10, torn or chiffonade
- Heat the oil over medium high heat in a Dutch oven. Add the garlic and onions and saute till the onions soften and are translucent.
- Add the crushed red pepper, dried oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour both the cans of tomatoes into the Dutch oven and the vegetable broth. Bring it to a boil.
- Add the cream and mix well.
- Pack in the baby spinach and the basil and let it cook in the soup for 5-10 mins till it wilts.
- Carefully drop the fresh tortellini, turn the heat down to medium and let it cook for 5 mins or until the tortellini are tender.
- Serve hot with any bread of choice.