A spooky yet delicious twist to the classic Manhattan, this Pomegranate Bourbon Cocktail, named Death Eater’s Draught is the perfect drink for the season. Make it for your next Harry Potter themed party!
If you follow me on Instagram, you probably know I love to try new cocktail recipes. At one point, I was obsessed with Harry Potter cocktails and then Downton Abbey ones. I have the Downton Abbey cocktail book and even went ahead and bought some new to me liquor like cocchi americano.
For Harry Potter cocktails, it is just inspiration from the movies (which hello, I have watched a million times!) and the books. I usually just try to add a twist to classic cocktails and give it a Harry Potter themed name.
I also love to collect cocktail glasses. I have a variety of old fashioned glasses, coupes, martini glasses and high ball glasses. My favorite ones are these skeleton stemless wine glasses and skull old fashioned glasses from Williams-Sonoma. I have an awesome recipe coming soon, that is so perfect to be served in those skull old fashioned glasses. Hint, it is also a Harry Potter cocktail.
I am assuming you are here because you know a little more about Harry Potter than just knowing of the books and movies. You will then not need an introduction to the term Death Eater. If you don't know much about Harry Potter, then Death Eaters are the followers of Lord Voldemort.
The term Death Eater is just so perfect for a spooky Halloween cocktail. It makes you think of something dark, evil and smoky strong. And that is exactly what this pomegranate bourbon cocktail is all about. I love a good bourbon cocktail for any day of fall.
This pomegranate bourbon cocktail is
- Bold and warm
- Perfect mix of the smooth bourbon with the tart and sweet pomegranate juice.
- A great twist to the classic Manhattan
Want to make a non-alcoholic kid friendly something as well? This Polyjuice Potion is a great option.
Ingredients for Death Eater’s draught
- Pomegranate juice - I love to buy Pom for its concentrated flavors, especially for cocktails.
- Bourbon - any good brand will do. I personally love the Knob Creek brand.
- Sweet Vermouth - an integral part of Manhattan
- Angostura bitters and Orange bitters - just a dash of these rounds off the flavors and makes it like something you ordered at a bar.
- Thyme - a little herby note that complements all the other flavors.
How to make Death Eater’s draught
- Add all the ingredients except thyme to a cocktail glass or shaker filled with ice.
- Stir well to mix and incorporate well.
- Strain and pour out to glasses filled with ice.
- Garnish with thyme
This is the first spooky cocktail on the blog. If you love cocktails and especially bourbon and gin based cocktails, here are a few favorites
Death Eater's Draught - Pomegranate Bourbon Cocktail
- 4 oz pomegranate juice
- 4 oz bourbon
- 2 oz sweet vermouth
- 4 splashes angostura bitters
- 4 splashes orange bitter
- 2 stems thyme for garnish
- ice as needed
Don't forget to check out Step-by-step instructions with photos in the body of the post above
- Add all the ingredients to a cocktail glass or cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Stir well for about 30 secs or so for everything to get incorporated well.
- Strain and pour out to two glasses filled with ice, dividing equally.
- Put a sprig of thyme in the glass to garnish and serve immediately.