A quick and easy purple cabbage coleslaw that is a wonderful topping to most tacos and can be eaten as a salad too. The simple lime and cilantro adds to the freshness of it.
This coleslaw or salad, however you want to call it, this recipe came to be quite by accident. I love using purple cabbage in tacos for the crunchiness and the color. Mostly, I used to use it as it is, just thinly sliced and then I would squeeze some lime over the tacos.
Then once, I decided to toss the cabbage with lime juice and added some grated carrots and sliced onions to it. It was not only delicious, but also looked pretty on the tacos with all the beautiful colors.
From then on, I would always make extra of this purple cabbage coleslaw and we would eat it on the side of the tacos as well as top the tacos with it.
How to make purple cabbage coleslaw topping for tacos?
Thinly slice purple cabbage and red onions. Grate some carrots. Toss them all together with some freshly squeezed lime juice, minced cilantro, salt and pepper. Leave for 5-10 mins before using them.
These can be enjoyed on all kinds of tacos. Some of our favorites are:
- Green Lentil Maitake Mushroom Tacos
- Roasted Potato Poblano Tacos
- Roasted Cauliflower Tacos with Avocado Cream Sauce
- Chana Chat Tacos
Purple Cabbage Coleslaw for Tacos
- 1 cup sliced purple cabbage
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- ½ lime juiced
- salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Toss all the vegetables together in a medium bowl.
- Add the lime juice, salt and pepper and toss one more time.
- Let it sit for 5-10 mins before using.
Don’t forget to subscribe to Cooking Curries’ Newsletter to automatically receive notifications of new posts and recipes.