Unbelievably easy, quick, delicious and buttery soft parmesan garlic knots that are just like the ones from your favorite pizza place. Bonus is that this is homemade and you don’t have to wait to order a pizza to dive into this deliciousness. Ready in just 20 mins.
Raise your hand if you love garlic knots? Raise your hand if you secretly order pizza for the garlic knots? Yes, me too!
What’s not to love about spongy soft bread doused in butter, garlic and herbs, right? It’s all good things in one tiny package. Just the smell of them in the kitchen is enough to make one hungry.
These parmesan garlic knots are
- Easy to make
- Buttery soft and delicious
- Garlicky bites of goodness
- A party favorite
- An easy dinner side or an appetizer
- Goes well with most pasta dinners
Now that we have collectively agreed that these are the best dang thing in the whole entire world, want to know the secret to make them super quick? Pre-made pizza dough! Yes, you heard it right. Pizza dough can be homemade or store-bought. I love buying organic pizza dough from our local bread bakeries, when homemade is not possible for some reason.
Pizza dough has the yeast-y sourness to it which is very typical of garlic knots. It also makes sense why pizzerias have garlic knots on their menu. To make use of all the extra pizza dough, of course.
Now, let’s move on to getting some very important questions answered so you can me these delicious parmesan garlic knots at home.
How to make garlic knots?
This recipe for parmesan garlic knots is made with pizza dough. You can make your own pizza dough or buy a good quality fresh pizza dough from your local bakery or grocery store.
Flour the surface you are working on and place the pizza dough on it. Flatten the dough slightly and cut it into 12 equal parts.
Take each part and roll it into a 7-8 inch long tube.
Take the roll onto your hand and cross over to overlap the edges to form a loop. Now bring one end in through the loop and pull it through. You have a simple knot now. You can leave it as it is or tuck the ends in at the bottom when you place the knots down.
Repeat with the rest of the cut up pizza dough and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Now, to make the garlic herb butter sauce with parmesan. Mix all the ingredients except butter, together. Add melted butter over it and mix well.
Brush a little over the knots, covering them all over the surface.
Bake in a preheated oven.
Once done, brush them one more time with the garlic butter sauce as soon as they come out of the oven.
It will be hard to wait, but just wait for at least 2 mins before you dig in, just to not burn your mouth 😀
Can you make garlic knots ahead of time?
Yes, of course, you can make garlic knots ahead of time. You can make them up to two days ahead of time and store in an airtight container or refrigerate them in an airtight container for up to a week.
How to freeze garlic knots?
If you want to make or prep the garlic knots well ahead of time, I would make the pizza dough, cut it, roll it out and make the knots. Lay them flat on a baking sheet and freeze them for an hour or two. The knots should be frozen and not sticky to touch. Place them in a freezer friendly ziploc bag and freeze for up to 3 months or so.
Thaw in the refrigerator or on the counter and bring it to room temperature before brushing with the garlic herb butter and popping it in the oven to bake.
How to reheat garlic knots?
I find reheating in the microwave to be the easiest and best way to reheat garlic knots. Place them in a microwave safe bowl or plate and cover with a damp kitchen towel. Microwave for 1-2 mins, depending on the power of your microwave. Serve immediately when still hot or warm. It may harden once it cools down.
What kind of herbs should be used for the garlic herb butter for garlic knots? Dried herbs or fresh herbs?
Dried or fresh herbs can be used to make the garlic herb butter, depending on what you have on hand. Fresh herbs are obviously better as they pack in a lot more flavor.
Parsley is my herb of choice for parmesan garlic knots. Italian seasoning can also be used.
What to serve with garlic knots?
Garlic knots can be served as an appetizer or as a side with dinner. Any chicken dinner or pasta dinner will hugely benefit from fresh garlic knots.
Some of our favorite dinners that do well with a side of garlic knots are
- One Pot Chicken and Chorizo Rigatoni
- Potato Leek Bucatini
- Mushroom Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- Vegetarian Carbonara with Mushrooms and Asparagus
- Chicken Parmesan
- Mediterranean Spiced Lemon Roasted Chicken
- Chicken Piccata
- Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Chicken
Dipping sauces for garlic knots
Garlic knots are great to just pop into your mouth as it is. But it you are feeling it, you can dip them knots in any of these sauces
- Marinara sauce
- Olive oil + balsamic vinegar
- Melted garlic butter
- Cheesy jalapeno dip
- Alfredo sauce
Don’t forget to subscribe to Cooking Curries’ Newsletter to automatically receive notifications of new posts and recipes.
Parmesan Garlic Knots
- 18 oz pizza dough
- 2 tbsp minced parsley fresh
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt use ½ tsp if you want less salt, we like it a little salt forward.
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp fresh grated parmesan
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 420F.
- Flour the surface you are working on and place the pizza dough on it. Flatten the dough slightly and cut it into 20-22 equal parts.
- Take each part and roll it into a 7-8 inch long tube.
- Take the roll onto your hand and cross over to overlap the edges to form a loop. Now bring one end in through the loop and pull it through. You have a simple knot now. You can leave it as it is or tuck the ends in at the bottom when you place the knots down.
- Repeat with the rest of the cut up pizza dough and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Now, to make the garlic herb butter sauce with parmesan. Mix all the ingredients (parsley, garlic powder, salt, oregano, parmesan) except butter, together. Add melted butter over it and mix well.
- Brush a little over the knots, covering them all over the surface.
- Bake for 10-13 mins till it starts to turn golden brown on the surface.
- Once done, brush them one more time with the garlic butter sauce as soon as they come out of the oven.