Simple and delicious, that is all there is to say about this Instant Pot Aloo Matar Curry, that is a crowd favorite with adults and kids alike. A great everyday dinner recipe as well as a favorite side for a party spread.
Aloo Matar, along with Aloo Jeera (potatoes with cumin) and Aloo Capsicum (potatoes with green bell peppers) are three dishes that I used to make quite a lot when I started cooking in my mid teens. One reason was that you can rarely go wrong with a potato dish and another was that all of these are ridiculously easy to make and ridiculously tasty too. I loved them then and I love them now, that they are just staples in my menu planning.
Over the years, my love for potatoes have remained the same but I have stepped out of my comfort zone of just simple and easy potato recipes to some like Aloo Methi (Potatoes and Fenugreek), Red Curry Mashed Potatoes, Potato Curry in Coconut Milk and a few others.
This Instant Pot Aloo Matar is the same recipe that I follow to make on the stove top, except, I use Instant Pot here and it kinda keeps the stove clean and I can get dinner ready without baby sitting the curry.
Instant Pot Aloo Matar
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 medium sized yellow potatoes cut into 1 - 1 ½ inch cubes
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon asafetida
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon amchur / dry mango powder
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 cup green peas frozen
- 1 - 1 ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoon kasuri methi
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
Don't forget to check out Step-by-step instructions with photos in the body of the post above
- Press SAUTE and let the Instant Pot become HOT.
- Add oil and cumin seeds, asafetida, ginger and garlic to it.
- Give it a quick stir and add the onions to it.
- Let the onions soften and start to brown a little - about 5-7 mins
- Add the turmeric powder, coriander powder and amchur. Mix well.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and salt. The salt added at this point will help the tomatoes soften faster.
- Let the tomatoes soften well - about 5 mins. Add potatoes, green peas and water. Mix well.
- Press CANCEL / KEEP WARM. Close the lid of the Instant Pot and seal the vent by turning the knob to SEALING.
- Press MANUAL. Adjust time to 3 mins. Once it is done cooking, wait for it naturally release pressure.(NPR).
- Turn the knob back to VENT and carefully open the lid of the Instant Pot.
- Mix well once more time. Be gentle and careful not to break the potatoes. Check for salt and add more if needed.
- Crush the kasuri methi between your palms and add to it. Mix well. Add the cilantro as well.
- Serve with rotis, rice or pooris.
If you loved this recipe, you will also love: