Kheer or Indian Rice Pudding, made easy in the Instant Pot. Make this Instant Pot Saffron Kheer easily for a crowd, this Diwali, with this no fail recipe.
Kheer seems to be such a simple dessert to make and don’t get me wrong, it IS such a simple dessert to make but many a times, this is one dessert where we feel that there is no need for measurements and then end up making it to be a very okay one.
I have made that mistake a number of times and I would often end up with a kheer that was a tad too thick, a tad too watery, not enough sugar or just feels a little less flavorful. With the measurements in this recipe and the set it and forget it method with the instant pot, this no fail recipe for Instant Pot Saffron Kheer is gonna get you deliciously perfect kheer every time you make it. Just like how you get it at the Indian lunch buffets.
This gets that natural pink color from pressure cooking the milk and there is no condensed milk added to this Instant Pot Kheer.
Here are a few other favorite Kheer recipes to add to your Diwali party plan!
Instant Pot Saffron Kheer
For garnish (optional)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds
- Turn on the Instant Pot and press Saute button. Use adjust button to adjust the heat level and make it to Low.
- Melt ghee in the inner pot liner of the Instant Pot and add the rinsed and drained basmati rice to this.
- Saute to a couple of minutes and add the milk to this. Mix well.
- Switch off Saute mode. Close the Instant Pot. Keep it on sealing mode. Press Manual to get pressure cook mode on. Adjust time to 30 minutes.
- Once it is cooked and the countdown timer starts, switch off the Instant Pot. It automatically goes to Keep Warm mode. We don't want that as it might scald the kheer. Wait for pressure to be released naturally (NPR). Turn the seal knob to vent and carefully open the lid of the Instant Pot. Give it a quick stir.
- Switch back to Saute mode and keep heat on low.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Meanwhile, mix the saffron to the warm milk and keep aside, while waiting for the sugar to be dissolved.
- Once the saffron has bloomed, add this to the kheer.
- Add the ground cardamom as well.
- Mix well and let it stay in saute mode for about 10 more mins to thicken.
- Optional garnish : heat the ghee and add the sliced almonds to it. Roast them to golden brown and add to the kheer.
Here are some reader favorite Instant Pot Indian recipes:
- Instant Pot Avial – Mixed Vegetable Curry with Coconut
- Instant Pot Vegetable Masala Rice
- Instant Pot Saffron Kheer – Instant Pot Indian Saffron Rice Pudding
- Instant Pot Sambar Rice