Fall head over heels for this delightful fall salad recipe of Roasted Delicata Squash, Kale, Feta, Toasted Walnuts and Pomegranates!
I once read somewhere about making a perfect salad – the components that need to go into it that make every bite refreshingly good. The greens, of course, are an integral part. If you want it to be a little more filling, add some whole grains like quinoa, couscous, wheat berries etc. You need a sweet component, which will be a fruit or in this case, the roasted squash. You need some crunch, so go on an toast some nuts and add to the salad. If you really want to treat yourself, go for candied nuts! Some cheese – soft cheese like feta, goat cheese and blue cheese or shaved parmesan, grated pecorino etc. Wait, we almost forgot the most important part – the acid. It comes from the dressing. It could be a simple lemon-olive oil dressing or a vinegar dressing. I do not prefer the creamier dressings that much, though I sometimes like my dressing a little on the sweeter side – like a blueberry vinegar or a raspberry jam-olive oil dressing.
Now that you have it all, toss them together, add more goodies like pomegranate or more nuts. Enjoy it then and there and make more to order. These salads generally don’t stay well together unless it it one of those whole grains you are using instead of the greens. Then the grains tend to absorb the excess liquid and keeps the structure of the salad intact.
Enjoy this simple fall salad with roasted delicata squash. You can use any other squash as well.Print Recipe
Roasted Squash and Kale Salad
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds.Cut into strips - half moon shaped.
- Spread on a baking sheet. Sprinkle olive oil, salt and pepper and toss well.
- Bake until soft for about 30-40 mins.
- Once done, cut into smaller pieces and keep aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the kale, roasted squash, salt, pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and nuts.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with cheese and pomegranate seeds and enjoy immediately.