Savory breakfast casserole made with buttery croissants, kale, potatoes and cheesy egg custard, this vegetarian croissant casserole is a crowd-pleaser and can be made ahead.
This is a perfect recipe for the holidays or just for any day breakfast with the family. Other family favorite breakfast casseroles are Spiced Maple Cranberry French Toast Bake, Cinnamon Apple French Toast Bake and Masala Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole.
I love breakfasts and brunches. I love cooking a big spread for breakfast on holidays and weekends. But, I am not a morning person at all.
Making at least one of these kinds of make ahead breakfast casseroles really helps me still have a great breakfast spread without me having to wake up super early.
What we love about this savory breakfast casserole is that it is
- A make ahead or prep ahead recipe
- Easy to prep and make and delicious too
- A great savory mix to your other sweet breakfast things like pancakes, french toasts or muffins
- Crowd favorite and family friendly
Ingredients for savory croissant casserole
- Croissants – day old croissants work better as they absorb the liquids while staying intact. You can use mini croissants or regular croissants. If you are using regular sized croissants, tear them up into bite sized pieces.
- Veggies – I have used red onions, potatoes and kale in this recipe. You can swap it up and use any other veggies you like. You can even add some sausage to make it more hearty.
- Egg Custard – make an easy custard with eggs, heavy cream and milk.
- Spices – this can just be your basic seasonings like salt and pepper or you can add up the flavors with some paprika, garlic powder, dried herbs or anything else you fancy.
- Cheese – I used a mix of Monterey Jack and gruyere here. You can use any one of those, both or any other mix of cheese you like or have on hand.
Method for croissant breakfast casserole
- Spread out the croissants in a greased casserole dish. Tuck in the veggies in between the croissant pieces.
- Make the egg custard by beating together the eggs, cream, milk and the spices. Pour it all over the croissants and the veggies.
- Spread the cheese over the casserole.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator to use later.
- Or bake in the oven right away till the custard is set.
This savory croissant casserole is so very easy to make. Assemble the casserole, cover and store it in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, all you have to do is to uncover it and pop it in the oven.
Keep an eye on the croissant tops as they may get too dark or even get burnt. If you see that happening, tent it with aluminum foil and continue baking.
We love these breakfast dishes to make during the holidays. They are all super fun and easy to make together as a family and loved by everyone in the family.
- Pumpkin Buttermilk Waffles
- Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
- Cranberry Maple Spiced French Toast Bake
- Apple Cinnamon French Toast Bake
- Masala Egg Breakfast Casserole
Don’t forget to subscribe to Cooking Curries’ Newsletter to automatically receive notifications of new posts and recipes.
Savory Croissant Breakfast Casserole
- 4 regular croissants
- ½ medium yellow or red onion chopped
- 2=3 small yellow potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped kale or spinach
- 5 large eggs
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp crushed black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ¾ cup shredded gruyere
- 1 tbsp butter or oil to grease the casserole pan
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease the casserole dish with butter or oil.
- Tear out the croissants to bite sized pieces and place them in the casserole dish so it is all filled up.
- Tuck in the chopped onions, potatoes and kale in between the croissant pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs together with the milk, heavy cream, salt, pepper, garlic powder and red pepper flakes.
- Pour this eggy custard over the croissants in the casserole dish.
- Top with the cheese.
- Bake in the oven, uncovered for 20-25 mins.