A quick and easy, vegetarian side of Spinach sauteed and canned Chickpeas with some smashed fresh coconut and spices. It is a great side with rice or rotis but can also be eaten as a snack or salad, in itself.
This dish is inspired from the thoran recipe I posted last week. The simple Kerala recipe of veggies or beans/legumes sauteed with coconut, just gives that extra oomph to the dinner table. This is the equivalent of roasting veggies as a quick side for meal times. Just like how you can roast pretty much any vegetable or combo of any vegetables, the same works for this recipe as well.
I had just a little bit of spinach that was in need of some TLC before it all wilted and I had to throw it away. It was not enough as a side for two people and I looked around in the pantry for any canned beans that I had and there was a lone garbanzo beans can sitting there. I love mixing up beans and vegetables in this kind of recipe. It takes care of the extra protein need for this vegetarian.
And so, this recipe was born and I have to say it was a success.
Here are a few other Spinach and Chickpea / Legume combo that we love here:
- Rinse and chop the spinach roughly and keep aside. Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans and keep aside.
- Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds to it. Once they splutter, throw in the curry leaves too.
- Add the spinach and once it starts to wilt, add the garbanzo beans, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Meanwhile, smash the coconut, cumin, pearl onion and red chillies till they just about come together.
- Add this to the spinach and chickpeas and some salt and mix well. Saute for a minute or so till it all comes together.
- Serve with rice or rotis or eat as it is as a salad or a snack.