A can’t go wrong recipe, this Tandoori Roast Chicken and Vegetables can be made in your oven, ready for you in just about 45 mins or so.
Our lunch plans with some friends got cancelled the Sunday before last and I got some time to make something nice for a Sunday lunch and also make more of it, so I can save some for our weeknight dinners. I did make more of this Tandoori Roast Chicken and Vegetables but not much of it was left over to save for weeknight dinners. I take that as a compliment. Thank you, thank you!
Whenever possible I try to buy chicken with bone-in. AJ really prefers them over the boneless ones. But the bone-in pieces are usually bigger than what I would like them to make curries with. So, if I have plans to make chicken curry, I usually get a whole chicken cut up from the butcher, into pieces small enough for a curry. These bigger pieces that you can pick up right off the shelf are perfect for grilling and roasting. That is precisely what I did with these bone-in breast and thigh pieces. Threw some potatoes, carrots and onions in it and ground up some masala to rub in and roasted in the oven for a good 40-45 minutes for this mouthwateringly delicious Tandoori Roast Chicken and Vegetables.
Tandoori Roast Chicken and Vegetables
- 1 ½ lbs chicken breasts / thighs bone-in
- 4 yellow potatoes (I used a mix of yellow, red and purple potatoes)
- 1 carrot
- ½ yellow onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Grind all the ingredients for the paste to a fine paste. Add a little water to help grind well.
- Scrub the potatoes and carrots well. Cut the potatoes in half. Roughly chop the carrot ( at an angle so it looks prettier). Chop the onions to fairly big pieces (maybe about 12 from half an onion).
- In an oven safe casserole dish, add the chicken pieces and the vegetables. Add the olive oil, salt and the ground paste. Mix well. Rub the chicken well with the ground masala.
- Arrange in such a way that chicken is resting in between the vegetables but not covered on top with the vegetables.
- Roast in the oven for about 40 mins. Check for doneness. Use a meat thermometer. It should read at least 165F when you check inside the chicken. Check in various spots so you get an accurate reading.
- Take out of the oven once done. Squeeze the lemon over it just before serving and garnish with cilantro.