A quick, easy and filling snack with garbanzo beans, coconut and a touch of spice for a flavor pop, this Kondakadalai Sundal is a popular festival snack in Southern India.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 can organic garbanzo beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil / avocado oil
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 4 dried red chillies
- ¼ tsp asafetida powder
- ¼ cup grated fresh coconut see note 1
- salt to taste
Rinse and drain the garbanzo beans well.
Heat oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add the curry leaves, asafetida and dried red chillies.
Add the drained garbanzo beans and salt.
Cover and cook on low heat for 5 mins.
Add the coconut, give a quick stir.
Enjoy with a cup of hot chai on the side.
- I use freshly frozen grated coconut that I buy from our local Indian store. If you absolutely have no way to get it, you can use unsweetened dessicated coconut, but the taste may vary.
- If you want the garbanzo beans to be a little softer, cook in a little water for a couple of minutes and then drain and use.
Calories: 101kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 5mg | Potassium: 162mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 525IU | Vitamin C: 114.7mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 0.6mg