Instant Pot Avial
The Kerala style curry of mixed vegetables in a coconut yogurt sauce base, Avial, cooked in the Instant Pot.
Servings 4 servings
- 2 cups Mixed Vegetables - Raw Plantain, Elephant Yam, Yellow Cucumber, Carrot, Potato, Drumstick, Chayote Squash, cut into 3 inch long strips (peel the plantain, yam, cucumber, potato)
- 2 cups Water just enough to cook the vegetables
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
To grind to a paste:
- ½ cup Grated fresh coconut frozen will do
- ¼ cup Yogurt
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 Green Thai chillies
Add all the vegetables with the turmeric, salt and water to the Instant Pot. Set it to Manual and close and cook sealed under pressure for 4 mins.
Quick release the pressure as soon as 4 mins is up. Be sure to watch for the steam as you do the pressure release.
Grind together the coconut, cumin, green chillies and yogurt to a fine paste.
Add this paste to the cooked vegetables. Cook in saute mode for 2 mins, till it all comes together.
Garnish/season with the coconut oil and curry leaves.
- You can use other vegetables like the small eggplant, other squashes or melons etc. This is usually the combination I use.
- Yogurt is used as the souring agent here. In certain parts of Kerala, tamarind is used as the souring agent instead. If using tamarind, use a lime sized ball, soak in water and take out the pulp. Add this to the vegetables when they are cooking. Skip the yogurt. Grind the coconut with a little water instead.
- If using frozen coconut, microwave the frozen grated coconut for 30 secs or so. This way the coconut seems to grind better without having fat solids stuck in the mixer/food processor.
Calories: 131kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 133mg | Potassium: 252mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 4730IU | Vitamin C: 62.5mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 1.4mg