Red Beets and Rainbow Carrots Thoran
Simple and easy vegetable side of red beets and rainbow carrots saute with coconut and green chillies.
Servings 4 people
- 1 medium red beet peeled and finely chopped
- 1 bunch rainbow carrots about 4-5 carrots, scrubbed and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut grated
- 2 Thai green chillies
Heat the coconut oil in a saute pan over medium high heat.
Add the mustard seeds to it and let it crackle. Throw in the curry leaves to the pan.
Add the chopped beets and carrots, give it a quick stir and add about 1/4 cup of water. Mix well, reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, if using frozen grated coconut, warm it in the microwave for 30 sec.
Using a mortar and pestle, crush the coconut with the green chillies to form a coarse paste like mixture. Do not add any water to this.
Uncover the beets and carrots, add salt and mix well.
Add the coconut mix, and cook for 2 mins for it to all come together.
- Use fresh grated coconut for this dish. I normally use freshly frozen grated coconut. I always have a couple of bags of this in my freezer as I cook a lot with coconut. You can get it at any Indian store near you. DO NOT use dessicated coconut for this, it just won't taste the same. I would just skip the coconut altogether if you can find fresh or freshly frozen grated coconut.
- When using frozen coconut, take a small block of coconut out of the bag, place it in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 secs. This helps the coconut to warm enough that the oil is not separated from the flesh, so it mixes with the spices well.
- Alternate ways to make the coconut mixture:
- In this recipe I have used the simplest way to make the coconut mixture to add to the veggies. You can crush the coconut with cumin seeds, dried red chillies and pearl onions. Alternately you can also just add coconut on top of the veggies, without adding any chillies to it.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 143kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 168mg | Potassium: 428mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 14271IU | Vitamin C: 40mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 1mg