Pumpkin Buttermilk Waffles
A simple and easy recipe for homemade buttermilk pumpkin waffles with maple pecan syrup. Loaded with warm spices, it is the perfect fall breakfast.
Servings 10 waffles
- 3 cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 6 tbsp butter melted
For the Maple Pecan Syrup
- 1 cup pecans roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
Mix the wet ingredients together - mix together the pumpkin puree, milk, buttermilk, eggs and melted butter. You don't have to whisk it too well, just enough so they are all mixed together.
Mix the dry ingredients together - mix together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and the spices.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well to form a batter. Add more milk or buttermilk at this point, if you want to change the consistency. Some flours and other ingredients absorb liquids differently than others and it may change the consistency a little.
Preheat your waffle iron as per manufacturer’s instruction.
Pour batter into your waffle iron and cook. I use about ½ cup of batter for a 5 inch square Belgian style waffle. How much batter to pour may vary depending on the size of your waffle maker.
Remove from the waffle maker, add toppings if any and serve warm.
To make the Maple Pecan Syrup
Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.
Add the pecans to it and fry it for a couple of minutes.
Pour in the maple syrup carefully and mix well.
Cook till bubbles form on the syrup.
- Use pumpkin pie spice instead of the individual spices given in this recipe, if that is what you have.
- You can use buttermilk and milk like in this recipe or you can use all buttermilk or all whole milk also. You can also substitute with any non-dairy milk if you want to make this dairy free.
- To make ahead, you can make the batter ahead or make waffles and refrigerate or freeze them. If refrigerated, just heat your waffle iron on the lowest setting (or reheat setting if your waffle iron has that) and place your waffles in it to reheat.
Serving: 2waffles | Calories: 437kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 327mg | Potassium: 343mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 4325IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 148mg | Iron: 3mg