Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Chicken Soup
This creamy Tomato Basil Soup with Chicken is so filling, comforting and delicious. It can easily be made in the slow cooker for your entire family to enjoy.
Servings 4 servings
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 oz
- 1 can San Marzano crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts about 1 lb
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 8-10 basil leaves torn or cut in chiffonade
Set the slow cooker to HIGH.
Heat some oil in the slow cooker and add the onions and garlic to it. Sauté for just 2 mins or so.
Add in the red pepper flakes, oregano, salt and pepper and mix well.
Add both the tomatoes and mix everything well.
Add stock and place the chicken breasts in the tomato-stock mix.
Close the crockpot and let it cook on high for 4 hrs.
Once done, take the chicken breasts out of the slow cooker and shred to pieces.
Add this back to the slow cooker and add the cream to the soup.
Add chopped basil and mix well.
- I use canned tomatoes in this recipe, as with all my tomato soup recipes. I use canned chopped tomatoes and San Marzano crushed tomatoes. You can substitute the canned chopped tomatoes with fresh tomatoes if you want, but I will keep the San Marzano tomatoes to give that extra depth of flavor.
- It is a one pot meal in itself. Adding some rustic bread on the side is a choice if you have a very hungry bunch.
Serving: 2cups | Calories: 336kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 93mg | Sodium: 718mg | Potassium: 1030mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 710IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 3mg