Cinnamon Apple French Toast Bake
Cinnamon Apple French Toast Casserole is the perfect prep-ahead breakfast option for the holidays or any day of the year. Easily made for a crowd with less effort.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 loaf brioche
- 2 apples cored and chopped, about 2 cups
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 5 eggs
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp allspice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
Grease a baking pan with butter.
Tear up the brioche and place it tightly all around the pan.
Toss the apples with ½ tsp ground cinnamon, brown sugar and the lemon juice.
Add this to the baking pan and tuck some of the apples in between the brioche.
In a mixing bowl, make the custard by whisking the eggs. Add the milk, maple syrup, ½ tsp ground cinnamon, allspice and vanilla. Mix to combine.
Pour this custard over the brioche and apples. Press down the brioche to make sure it is coated well with the custard.
Cover and refrigerate till ready to bake.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Place the casserole in the oven and bake uncovered for 25 mins or so, till the custard is set with the brioche to make the baked French toast.
Serve warm with more maple syrup or top with some powdered sugar.
- Use apples that are usually a mix of sweet and tart, like honeycrisp, braeburn or pink lady.
- You can use brioche, challah or croissants to make this french toast casserole.
- You don't necessarily have to make it overnight, you can put it together and make it right away, if that is what you want.
- If you want to make a bread pudding kind of dessert with this, just up the brown sugar quantity to double as that of in this recipe and serve with some ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.
Calories: 657kcal | Carbohydrates: 82g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 362mg | Sodium: 494mg | Potassium: 297mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 38g | Vitamin A: 1237IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 176mg | Iron: 2mg