Quick, easy and packed with flavors, this Cilantro Lime Quinoa made in the Instant Pot comes out perfectly fluffy every single time and is a great side for this grilling season or for Taco Tuesdays or just about anything.
We all love the Cilantro Lime Rice at Chipotle. I sometimes go to Chipotle just so I can get this in my bowl.
Now, If I say there is something better than Cilantro Lime Rice and is also healthier and super easy to make? This Cilantro Lime Quinoa is just that. The nuttier taste of quinoa adds to the flavor, it is packed with so much protein and with the help of the trusty Instant Pot, it is so much easier to make as well.
How do you make Cilantro Lime Quinoa in the Instant Pot?
First you cook the quinoa to the perfect fluffiness in the Instant Pot and then squeeze some lime over it and add some minced cilantro. Its as easy as that.
Should I rinse quinoa before cooking?
Most commercially packed quinoa has been pre-rinsed to remove the component called saponin that brings some bitterness to the quinoa. So, there is no need to wash for that. But yes, a quick rinse under cold water is recommended as it reduces foaming while cooking in the Instant Pot.
Do I toast the quinoa before cooking it?
It is completely optional. I feel it brings out the nuttiness in the quinoa when you quickly toast it in oil before adding water to cook it.
What is the ideal quinoa to water ratio?
The ideal quinoa to water ratio is 1: 1 ¼. Which means, for every 1 cup of quinoa use 1 ¼ cup of liquid - it can be water or broth.
Some more Instant Pot recipes that are our favorite
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 ¼ cup water or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon oil or butter
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste (watch for salt in the stock if you are using it)
- 1 lime
- ½ cup cilantro minced
- Rinse the quinoa under running water till the water runs clear. Drain and keep aside.
- Press SAUTE in the Instant Pot and add the oil/ butter to it once it displays HOT.
- Add the rinsed quinoa to the hot oil and toast for a minute or so.
- Add the liquid (water or stock) and salt and mix well.
- Turn off SAUTE. Close the lid and put the sealing valve in SEALING position.
- Press MANUAL and adjust time to 1 minute.
- It will take about 5-7 mins for the Instant Pot to come to pressure. Once done, wait for the pressure to be released naturally for about 10 mins and then carefully move the sealing valve to RELEASE.
- Open the lid and fluff the quinoa gently with a fork.
- Squeeze the lime over it and toss in the cilantro. Gently fluff again with a fork and its ready to be served now.
A few tips to making the perfect fluffy quinoa in the Instant Pot
- Canadian quinoa from Costco, made this recipe mushy. So, stick to other brands of Quinoa.
- At higher altitude, maybe cook for 2 mins instead of 1 min.
Don’t forget to subscribe to Cooking Curries’ Newsletter to automatically receive notifications of new posts and recipes.