A fun twist to your regular pasta with tomato sauce, this Vegetarian Fajita Pasta is chock full of flavors and has a little heat to it as well!
In the month of January, the husband was on the Whole30 diet. Which meant, a lot of meat and fish dishes for him for dinner. Which also meant, making pretty much two dinners every night, one that was Whole30 compliant for him and a vegetarian dinner for me. The kiddo would eat a little of both or will choose one.
So, after a few meals, I started improvising. The Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas were a big hit in the household during this time and I made that quite a bit. The fragrance of all those flavors wafting in the kitchen made this vegetarian want some for herself. And thus, this Vegetarian Fajita Pasta was born.
During this Whole30 phase for the husband, I tried to avoid gluten and my grain intake was mostly whole grains. Also, I love to buy fresh pastas from our local co-operative store and when I found Manini's Gluten Free pasta at PCC, I couldnt help but buy some.
So, how do you make this Vegetarian Fajita Pasta?
First, saute up some onions, garlic and peppers with all the wonderful spices for the fajita flavor and then add some tomato paste to it and thin the sauce with some water. To this, add the cooked pasta, mix well and squeeze some lime on top for a fresh burst of flavors.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- ¼ red bell pepper sliced
- ¼ green bell pepper sliced
- ¼ yellow bell pepper sliced
- ¼ orange bell pepper sliced
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ cup sour cream or yogurt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt to taste
- 9 oz gluten free rigatoni or any pasta of your choice
- ½ lime
- ½ cup crumbled cotija cheese
- Bring enough salted water to boil. Add pasta to this and cook for 3 mins until al dente. Drain pasta and keep aside.
- Heat the oil, add the garlic and onion and saute for a few minutes, till the onions soften. Add the bell peppers and saute for a few more minutes till the peppers soften.
- Now add the spices and salt and mix well.
- Add the tomato paste, sour cream / yogurt and enough water to make a sauce.
- Now, add the cooked and drained pasta to this and mix well.
- Squeeze half a lime over this, just before serving and top with some crumbled cotija cheese