This nutritious indigenous variety of rice from the Southern Indian state of Kerala, Rose Matta rice or Kuthari can be made easily and perfectly in the Instant Pot.
Kerala Kuthari or Rose Matta Rice is a kind of brown/red rice that is grown in the Palakkad region of the Southern Indian state of Kerala. The husk is kept in tact and the rice is parboiled. Like any form of brown rice, this takes a really long time to cook and that is where the trusty Instant Pot comes in handy.
This Kuthari rice is a must have in all Kerala Sadyas (feast) and is a favorite among most Malayalees (people of Kerala).
Is Kerala Matta rice more nutritious than white rice?
Yes, it is. The husk is kept in tact in this rice, thus keeping all the nutrients locked in. It has a lot more fiber, magnesium and calcium and vitamins than white rice and way less calories as well. It also has a low glycemic index, which helps if you are watching your sugar conversion intake due to diabetes or gestational diabetes. When I had gestational diabetes with Ms S, I could eat twice as much Matta rice as the recommended portion size of white rice and still have my numbers well under control. ( do note that this may vary from person to person and you should always check with your doctor or nutritionist before trying this for any medical reasons)
Not only is this rice more nutritious than white rice, the nuttier taste of this rice makes is very delicious as well. As with any form of brown rice, this takes longer to cook and requires more water to cook well.
Instant Pot Kerala Kuthari Rice - Kerala Rose Matta Rice
- 1 cup Kerala Rose Matta Rice
- 5 cups water
Don't forget to check out Step-by-step instructions with photos in the body of the post above
- Rinse the rice a few times with water, till the water almost runs clear.
- Add the rice to the inner lining pot of the Instant Pot. Add the water.
- Close the lid and set to sealing. Press MANUAL and adjust time to 27 minutes.
- Once done, let the pressure release naturally. The pin next to the seal will fall down once the pressure is released fully.
- Open the lid of the Instant Pot. There will still be a little leftover water with the rice.
- Drain the water from the rice and rinse the rice with cold water to get of any extra starch. This step is completely optional. You can just drain the rice and be done.
- Serve with any favorite curry!