Delicious, creamy yellow dal with coconut, the Kerala Style Parippu Curry made easily in the Instant Pot.
Dal or lentil curry is such a simple, comforting food and as with all such comfort foods, there is a unique twist to each version of it made. Kerala, the land of coconut trees, very obviously, has coconut in some form in most dishes in the region. So, of course, when dal is made here, we put coconut in it.
Parippu is dal / lentil in Malayalam and parippu curry is made with adding a ground paste of coconut, cumin and some other additions to it. It is served with rice and makes for one of the courses in the elaborate feast, Kerala sadya.
Looking for other Instant Pot recipes?
Curious to know what other curries are served in the Kerala Sadya? Here are some:
Now, lets head over to the recipe of this Instant Pot Parippu Curry.
Instant Pot Parippu Curry - Instant Pot Dal with Coconut
- 1 cup yellow moong dal
- 2 ½ cups water
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
To grind to a paste
- ⅓ cup grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3-4 dried red chillies
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pearl onion
Don't forget to check out Step-by-step instructions with photos in the body of the post above
- Rinse the moong dal and add it to the inner pot liner of the Instant Pot, along with the water and turmeric powder.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot and turn the sealing knob to seal. Press MANUAL and adjust time to 6 mins.
- While the dal is cooking, grind together the grated coconut*, cumin seeds, dried red chillies, garlic and pearl onion with a little water, to a smooth paste.
- Let the dal cook completely in the Instant Pot and wait for NPR (natural pressure release). The pin near the sealing knob will go down, once pressure is all released. Move the sealing knob to release and open the Instant Pot.
- Press CANCEL / KEEP WARM. Press SAUTE button, mix the dal well and add more water if needed.
- Add the coconut paste to this and salt and mix well. Let it cook in SAUTE mode for 4-5 mins.
- In a small pan, heat the coconut oil, add the mustard seeds. Let them splutter, once done, add the pearl onion slices and fry till crispy along the edges. Add the curry leaves. And now pour this over the dal in the Instant Pot and mix well.If you don't want to use the stove top at all and want to do everything in the Instant Pot, do this step in the Instant Pot before adding the dal and water, right at the beginning.