A quick, easy and filling snack with garbanzo beans, coconut and a touch of spice for a flavor pop, this Kondakadalai Sundal is a popular festival snack in Southern India.
Sundal or Chundal as some call it, are a very popular offering made to Hindu Gods for Southern Indian festivals. It is basically any form of lentil that is cooked well and sautéed with a tempering of mustard seeds, asafetida, curry leaves, red chillies and coconut.
There are slight variations to this where the coconut is sometimes coarsely ground with the red chillies to form a paste like addition to the cooked lentils.
Not just for festivals, these are great snacks for those mod afternoon hunger pangs and also as after school snacks, as they are protein packed with all the lentils or beans in them. You could use either canned garbanzo beans or soak dried garbanzo beans, pressure cook them and use those instead.
I prefer to use the canned ones, as this is such a simple and easy recipe in itself, that I don’t want to complicate it with all the soaking and pressure cooking. Sometimes when I use dried beans for another dish, I cook some extra and use that for the sundal instead.
Either way, a bowl full of this and a hot cup of chai is all you need to turn around your afternoon and feel good and be ready to tackle the rest of your day!
Don't forget to check out Step-by-step instructions with photos in the body of the post above
- Rinse and drain the garbanzo beans well.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add the curry leaves, asafetida and dried red chillies.
- Add the drained garbanzo beans and salt.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 5 mins.
- Add the coconut, give a quick stir.
- Enjoy with a cup of hot chai on the side.
- I use freshly frozen grated coconut that I buy from our local Indian store. If you absolutely have no way to get it, you can use unsweetened dessicated coconut, but the taste may vary.
- If you want the garbanzo beans to be a little softer, cook in a little water for a couple of minutes and then drain and use.