A super quick recipe for the traditional Southern Indian sweet dish of Palkova or Pal Therattipal, made in the microwave with just two ingredients and it is ready in just 4 minutes.
If there is one person in this world who loves a good Palkova, it is my brother.
I know, it seems like, lately I have been talking about my brother quite a lot. It is because we share this love for all things dessert and I have been posting a lot of dessert recipes here for Diwali. He, for one, can have just dessert for dinner and call it a day. I am not quite there yet.
Pal Therattipal or Palkova is something that is made for any auspicious occasions, be it weddings, baby shower, engagement party and what not. I remember seeing my paatti (grand mom) standing by the stove top, painstakingly stirring the large pot of palkova. Palkova is essentially, full fat milk that is curdled a little and cooked down whey and curds and all to an almost semi solid state and then sweetened with sugar. Just two ingredients, that’s all you need. But, you have to be really careful to not burn the milk or else you will just have to throw it all out.
Growing up, my brother and I had this distinction in our mind, between Palkova and Pal Therattipal. Pal Therattipal was the one with the grainy texture, like the one here, that paatti or amma made at home. Where as Palkova was the smooth kind that we got in stores. Usually cubes of it was individually wrapped in clear plastic wrappers like candy and we would get them all the time.
Later on, I figured, both are the same, except you can choose how to make it. Smooth or grainy. I love the grainy version and that is how this recipe makes it! Hope you love it too, because seriously this is the easiest recipe for a Palkova, with shortcuts of using condensed milk and a little yogurt to curdle it.Print Recipe
Easy Microwave Palkova
- 1/2 can sweetened condensed milk about 7 oz
- 2 tsp yogurt
- Pour the condensed milk to a large bowl (about a 10 cup capacity bowl, glass bowl preferred, so you can see when it is in the microwave).
- Add a tsp of yogurt to it and mix it in.
- Microwave for 1 minute. The first minute should be fine, in terms of it bubbling up.
- Add the other tsp of yogurt and mix well. Microwave in intervals of 30 secs for a total of 3 1/2 to 4 mins. Pause and restart every time it starts to bubble up a lot.
- After every 30 sec interval, take the bowl out and mix well. At the end of it it should all come together to be a loosely solid mass.
- Serve warm or cold.