A quick and filling snack or meal for toddlers and kids with leftover rice, spinach and corn.
I know lil V does not get bored if I repeat his food every now and then and AJ keeps reminding me of that. But I just feel as if he does get bored. I mean, I get bored! I cannot eat the same thing for more than two meals. So I kinda don’t expect him to like it too. But I am sure that he does not even realize any of that. Like AJ says, lil V wouldn’t probably mind at all if I repeat his meals. But I just got to do what I got want to do. At least till lil V starts realizing and starts demanding for what food he wants. He sometimes does that now, not for his meals, but for his snacks.
I got this idea from a very old book I tagged along with me from India when I came to the US. It is, obviously, not a baby food book. It is a book by Tarla Dalal on Cooking with Leftovers. I was going through that and saw this recipe for rice, spinach and corn balls with leftover rice. Of course, the recipe was very different than what I made for lil V. But that definitely was the inspiration to come up with this recipe.Jump to Recipe
Little People Food - Spinach, Rice and Corn Patties
- 5 tbsp Oil or ghee enough for shallow frying
- ½ cup Leftover cooked rice
- 1 cup Baby Spinach
- ½ cup Frozen corn kernels
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala powder
- 1 cup Bread crumbs use gluten free, if needed
- Blanch the spinach and keep aside. Cook the corn well in some water, drain and keep aside.
- Mash the rice well with the spinach and corn and add the salt, pepper and garam masala. Mix well. It should form a thick enough dough that will hold for shallow frying, if not add a little more rice or some of the bread crumbs and mix.
- Take about a lime size ball of the dough, pat on your palms to for a small pattie. Drench in bread crumbs. Repeat with the rest of the dough and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil or ghee in a saute pan on medium heat.
- Place the patties in the oil. Let it cook on each side for 2-3 mins or so until it becomes golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve.