The perfect spring salad recipe with Spinach, Peas and Cherry Tomatoes and a drizzle of freshly homemade Basil Walnut Pesto.
English peas is something I start seeing around this time of the year and I love being able to buy fresh peas rather than the frozen green peas that I use the rest of the year.
I love using it in everything that I would normally use frozen green peas and also in some other special recipes that I save for this time of the year.
This Spinach Pea Salad with fresh Basil Walnut Pesto is one and the Spring Spaghetti with Spinach Pea Pesto is another recipe.
What is the recipe for Spinach Pea Salad?
Spinach Pea Salad is made with layers of fresh goodness, starting with some baby spinach, fresh green peas, cherry tomatoes, some red onion slices for crunch, toasted pine nuts, fresh basil walnut pesto and topped with some Asiago cheese. This is one the freshest salad you can ever make!
How to make fresh basil walnut pesto at home?
To make fresh basil walnut pesto – add some fresh basil, spinach, walnuts, garlic clove, grated pecorino romano, olive oil, salt and pepper to a food processor and blend till it is an almost smooth paste.
You can use it liberally in this salad, and if there are any leftovers, toss some pasta with it or spread it on a slice of bread while making a sandwich.
Without further ado, here is the recipe!
- 3 cups baby spinach packed
- 1 cup fresh English peas
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup Asiago cheese grated
- 1/4 red onion sliced
- Cook the fresh green peas for a couple of minutes in boiling water, to soften them. Drain and keep aside.
- Toast the pine nuts in a pan over the stove top and keep aside.
- Rinse the baby spinach and pat dry.
- Layer a shallow bowl with the spinach. Top with the sliced onions, English peas and cherry tomato halves.
- Sprinkle the pine nuts all over the vegetables.
- Drizzle enough of the basil walnut pesto over it. You can always add more pesto to individual plates after serving, based on taste.
- Top with grated Asiago.
To make fresh basil walnut pesto
- Add the basil, spinach, walnuts, grated Pecorino Romano, garlic, salt and pepper to a food processor. Add a little oil and blend. Scrape down the sides and add the remaining olive oil and blend again till it comes together to a semi-smooth mixture.