Fragrant basmati rice made tangy and delicious with grated raw mangoes added to it, is a quick lunch that can be made any day!
Us South Indians have a love affair with rice that no one else will quite understand. We add so many flavors and what not to our rice, that we have an entire category called variety rice. There is lemon rice, tamarind rice, coconut rice, sesame rice, tomato rice, curd / yogurt rice, sambar rice, mixed vegetable rice, eggplant rice, raw mango rice and so many many more. And of course, even our breads are rice based – like Idlis (steamed rice and lentil cakes), dosas (fermented rice and lentil crepes), idiyappam / string hoppers (rice noodles) and so on.
This one particular rice dish with raw mangoes for flavoring is something I learnt from a friend’s mom. She made one of the best raw mango rice and raw mango dal. There were times when I used to dream of this, wondering how to make it and then I finally got the recipe for it from her.
It’s a fairly simple recipe. All you need is raw green mangoes with a slight tang to it. You can quickly make this for lunch for yourself, especially if you have leftover rice. - 1 tablespoon sesame oil
Turmeric Raw Mango Rice
- 1 ½ cups basmati rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon urad dal
- ½ teaspoon asafetida
- 4 dried red chillies
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 raw green mango peeled, pitted and grated
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoon raw peanuts unsalted
- salt to taste
- Wash and drain the basmati rice and cook with the 3 cups of water till the water is evaporated and small holes form on top of the rice. Remove from heat and keep aside.
- Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds to it. Once they splutter, add the urad dal and wait for it to brown a little. Toss in the asafetida, dried red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the peanuts to it and roast till it slightly changes color. Add the turmeric powder and grated mango and saute for a couple of minutes. Toss in the salt as well.
- Add the cooked rice and fluff well to mix into the raw mango mixture. Serve hot with any pickle of your choice and some yogurt.