Warm apple cider spices up the classic hot toddy to make this delicious, cozy, sippable drink to warm you up on fall and winter nights.
Hot toddy is the classic winter beverage that you sip while warming yourself by the fire. Now, imagine adding all the sweet and spicy goodness of apple cider to it. That is what you get in an apple cider hot toddy.
This cocktail is everything you need on a cold winter night – warm, light, strong and very sippable.
The main flavor of hot toddy comes from the alcohol. Whiskey is the alcohol that is traditionally used to make hot toddy. Here, I have used bourbon, but feel free to use any whiskey you like.
The apple cider in this drink does add an extra dimension of flavor to it, but it definitely does not take away from the spirit forwardness of this drink.So, if you prefer sweet, fruity cocktails that mask the flavor of the alcohol, then this may not be for you.
This bourbon apple cider hot toddy is
- Warm and comforting
- The perfect drink for fall and winter seasons
- Perfectly balanced with the sweetness from the honey and apple cider and the sourness from the lemon.
What liquor goes best with hot apple cider?
Hot apple cider tastes really good in itself when spiced a little with some cinnamon and cloves. Alcohol added to hot apple cider definitely takes it to a whole different level of goodness.
Whiskey or Rum are the typical liquors added to a hot apple cider. Any favorite kind of whiskey would work. I personally love to use bourbon. If using rum, use a dark rum or even a spiced rum will work well.
Can you heat apple cider?
Yes, of course. In fact, apple cider tastes better when warm or hot than straight out of the refrigerator. Warm it up in a saucepan on the stove top with some cinnamon and cloves to bring out the flavors a little more.
Ingredients for bourbon hot toddy with apple cider
The quality of the ingredients used in this drink is very important as each flavor stands out on its own while mixing in with the others.
- Apple cider – use good quality real apple cider that is unfiltered. Buy locally produced apple cider, especially fresh pressed cider if you can. It will be fresher and will contain less preservatives.
- Bourbon – use any favorite brand of bourbon. My go-to brands are Knob Creek and Bulleit.
- Lemon Juice – freshly squeezed lemon juice is always the best for making any alcoholic drinks.
- Honey – use local honey, if possible. You can also use agave or maple syrup to sweeten this drink or skip it altogether too. The apple cider gives the drink enough sweetness as it is.
- Cinnamon – optional, especially if your cider is already spiced a little.
To make apple cider hot toddy
- Warm the apple cider with some water in a saucepan over medium heat. Add a piece of cinnamon in there for a little extra flavor.
- In a glass cup or any serving glass, add the bourbon and mix in the lemon juice and honey to it.
- Add the warm cider to the cup and mix well.
- Serve with a slice of lemon and/or a cinnamon stick.
Love bourbon drinks? You will love these
Apple Cider Hot Toddy
- 2 oz bourbon
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ oz fresh lemon juice about 1 ½ tsp
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup apple cider
- Warm the apple cider and the water in a saucepan over medium heat. Let it start to steam but you don't want to get it very hot and boiling. It should be sip-pable temperature.
- In a glass cup or a serving glass, measure out the bourbon.
- Mix in the honey and lemon juice to it.
- Add the warm apple cider-hot water mix and stir it in to the bourbon mix.
- Top with a lemon slice or a cinnamon stick or a star anise and serve immediately.