Lazy weekend mornings or just cozy winter mornings, it definitely calls for this easy Spiced Maple Cranberry French Toast Bake that is prepped and refrigerated overnight, all ready for you to just pop it in the oven as you wait for your morning coffee to be done. This is perfect as a make ahead Christmas morning breakfast as well.
I love breakfast but I so not a morning person at all. The best I can do is weekend brunches and I got all out when that happens. But some days when you just want to laze in the mornings (I say mornings because the kids wake me up, whether I want to wake up or not) but got the whole entire household all up and ready to go, some delicious shortcuts like these is the only way to go.
We all love French Toast here, well, who doesn’t? All the custard flavor, with warm maple syrup on top with a side of freshly brewed coffee. Heaven can’t be any better!
But the French Toast kinda heaven requires me to be up early, so that happens only in brunches. French toast for breakfast is always an overnight baked French toast casserole. I prep and put the baking pan in the refrigerator. I just take it out while the oven preheats in the morning and pop it right in. By the time I have made and had my first cup of coffee, breakfast is ready! And, this spiced maple cranberry french toast bake casserole is a holiday favorite. The warmth of spices like cinnamon and all spice, the bright tart cranberries, all enclosed within buttery brioche pieces and all of this brought together by the vanilla custard topped with some whipped cream and warm maple syrup is just the way to go on cold winter mornings.
What kind of bread to use for making French toast?
My go-to French toasts are with brioche or croissants. Yes, we like them rich and buttery! Even when I make a French Toast casserole, I use either of these two breads. I think they are delicious and also, very forgiving, as in, they rarely give out a dry French toast. But you can also use French bread or Sourdough or even a Texas toast to make French Toast or a French toast casserole.
Does French toast bake has to sit overnight? Can it be baked with no overnight refrigeration?
Yes, of course! You can totally prep and bake a french toast casserole the morning of. The overnight part is mainly for convenience. It sits well overnight, so it is an easy breakfast dish to make ahead and easily make a french toast bake in the morning.
Can French toast bake be frozen?
Yes, you can absolutely freeze it. Just make sure to put it in an oven and freezer safe container like a glass pyrex casserole dish with a lid. Wrap the container with cling wrap and then put the lid over to freeze.
So, what are you waiting for? Its the weekend already. Go make a double batch, freeze one and put one in the oven for a delicious breakfast for the whole family. Also, keep the recipe ready to a make a big double batch to make for a big crowd when you are entertaining this holiday season or to make on Christmas morning so you have more time to open presents! 🙂
Spiced Maple Cranberry French Toast Bake
- Grease a baking pan with butter. Scatter a few cranberries into the pan.
- Tear up the brioche roughly and place it tightly all throughout the pan. Now scatter the remaining cranberries on to the brioche, tucking a few in between the pieces of bread as well.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs well. Add the milk, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and all spice. Beat well.
- Pour this mixture all over the brioche and cranberries.
- Wrap tightly with a cling wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place the casserole out of the refrigerator while the oven preheats.
- Remove cling wrap and bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Cover with aluminium foil and bake for another 15 minutes, till most the cranberries have burst.
- Serve warm with whipped cream, warm maple syrup and powdered sugar dusted on top.
Here are a few other easy breakfasts for cold weather days!
Save this image below to your favorite breakfast / brunch boards on Pinterest to save for later