This fool proof recipe for melt-in-your-mouth Whipped Vanilla Shortbread Cookies is absolutely delicious. It is extremely simple, uses only 4 ingredients and is the perfect crumbly cookie. It is also egg-less.
Everyone will love and want more of these and it is the ONE cookie you absolutely need to make this holiday season, or just any other time of the year.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on this, please refer to my Affiliate and Advertising Disclosure here.
Shortbread cookies do not usually have egg in them but the butter makes up for it by giving it a nice and crumbly texture. But, this whipped shortbread cookie recipe takes the crumble factor to a whole another level altogether.
I had seen a recipe for this a while ago but I never bothered making a whipped shortbread cookie, as I had a great recipe for basic shortbread cookie. The basic recipe of a shortbread cookie is so simple that it allows us to add so many additional flavor combos to it to make a variety of shortbread cookies.
And, I always just made different flavor versions each time I made a shortbread cookie with my basic recipe. We particularly love these Chai Masala Spice and Cashew Nuts Shortbread Cookies and Coconut Orange Macadamia Shortbread Cookies.
If you are not yet convinced, let me tell you why this is our favorite ever cookies.
These whipped vanilla shortbread cookies are:
- Incredibly delicious
- Very easy to make
- Needs just 4 ingredients
- It is fool-proof, there is no way you can get this recipe wrong.
- The best crumbly, buttery, melt-in-your-mouth cookies you can eat.
Ingredients to make Whipped Vanilla Shortbread Cookies
- All purpose flour
- Vanilla extract
You can add non-pareils, drizzle melted chocolate or top with nuts and other additions, as needed.
How to make Whipped Vanilla Shortbread Cookies
Whipped Vanilla Shortbread Cookies, as the name suggests, is cookies that are whipped. The butter and sugar are creamed together and the flour is added to it, mixed and then whipped well. The airy cookie dough gives this cookie the crumbly, melt-in-your mouth texture.
Scoop the dough onto a baking sheet. Top with any sprinkles, nuts or other toppings of choice. Chill in the refrigerator for 10 mins. Bake till done.
There are many recipes that call for corn flour. Corn flour lends that crumble factor by adding enough starch to the dough to hold it together, while also reducing the gluten content in the dough. The science does make sense, but the air in the whipped dough itself was enough to make the cookie airy and crumbly, whenever I have made these cookies. So, I never bothered to add corn flour.
Things you need to make these cookies:
- Stand Mixer or at least a hand mixer. There is too much whipping to do with just a whisk
- Cookie sheets – I love these sheet pans, that can be used for many other things like roasting veggies, sheet pan dinners etc.
- Parchment paper (I love these sheets of pre cut parchment paper) or Silicone baking mats
- Small ice cream scoop / cookie scoop
Tips for making whipped shortbread cookies
- Whip, whip, whip. The recipe calls for 5 mins of whipping on high speed once all the ingredients are in. Do whip for all of the 5 minutes. Use a timer. It makes all the difference.
- Keep the butter out several hours earlier, so it can soften at room temperature. We don’t want to heat the butter in the microwave or on the stove top and get melted butter. The butter should be soft enough for your fingers to go into it smoothly when you press down into it.
- Use good quality vanilla extract. I love the Nielsen- Massey ones. Don’t use vanilla flavor/essence. It has to be the real deal. This is the only flavor that is coming through in this cookie.
Don’t forget to subscribe to Cooking Curries’ Newsletter to automatically receive notifications of new posts and recipes.
Other cookie recipes you may love:
- Chai Masala Spice and Cashew Nuts Shortbread Cookies
- Coconut Orange Macadamia Shortbread Cookies
- Salted Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Eggless Honey Cardamom Anytime Cookies
- Chocolate Crackle Cookies
- The best ever Sugar Cookies
- Ginger Pistachio Cookies